Forty short Ahadith on the virtues of Salaat

• Work-from-home

Pari

(v)i§§· ßµølï ßµð£ï¨
VIP
Mar 20, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Forty short Ahadith on the virtues of Salaat

According to Shaqiq Balkhi, a very famous Shaikh, five things could be acquired through five channels; an increase in provisions through 'Chaasht'a light in the grave through the 'Tahajjud', a very satisfactory answer to 'Munkar and Nakir' through the recitation of the Quran; an easy crossing of'Siraat'through fasting and alms,and room under the shade of Allah's Throne on the Day ofJudgement through seclusion (i.e. Zikr).There are so many sayings of the Holy Prophet (Sallallaho alalhe wasallam) enjoining Salaat and explaining its virtues that it is very difficult to cover all of them in this small book. Some quotations are, however, reproduced below for a blessing

1. "Salaat was the first and the foremost thing ordainedby Allah, and it shall be the first and the foremostthing to be accounted for on the Day of Judgement.

2. Fear Allah in the matter of Salaat! Fear Allah in the matter of Salaat!! Fear Allah in the matter of Salaat!!!

3.Salaat intervenes between man and 'Shirk

4 Salaat is the mark of Islam. A person who says his Salaat at the fixed hours with sincerity and devotion, observing all its regulations including the 'Mustahabbat',is surely a Mo'min.

5.Of all things that have been ordained by Allah, Imaan'and 'Salaat are the most valued. If there were any other thing better than Salaat, then Allah would have ordained it for His Angels, some of whom are always in'Ruku' and others in 'Sajdah.

6 Salaat is the pillar of Islam.

7.Salaat disgraces the Devil

8.Salaat is the light of a Mo'min.

9.Salaat is the best 'Jihaad.

10.Allah attends to a person so long as he is engaged in Salaat.

11.When a calamity befalls us from Heaven, people frequenting the Masjid are spared and saved.

12 If some major sins of a Muslim land him in Hell, the fire would not burn those parts of his body which have touched the ground while he was in Sajdah during hisSalaat.

13 Fire has been forbidden to touch those parts of the body which touch the ground while performing theSajdah.

14 Of all the practices,Salaat made at fixed hours is most loved by Allah.

15.Allah likes the most when a person is in 'Sajdah',pressing his forehead on the ground in humility.

16.A person in Sajdah is nearest unto Allah.

17.Salaat is a key to Paradise.

18.When a person stands in Salaat the gates of Paradiseare let open and all the veils between him and Allah are lifted (provided that he spoils not his Salaat by coughing etc)

l9.A person in Salaat (so to say) knocks at the door of the sovereign Lord, and the door is always opened for him who knock

20.The place of Salaat in Islam is as the head in a body.

21.Salaat is the light of the heart ?Let those who wish en-lighten their hearts (through Salaat").22.If a person wishes to have his sins forgiven by Allah,he should perform his 'Wudhu' properly, offer with devotion two or four rak'aat of'Fardh or'Nafl, and then pray to Allah. Allah will forgive him.

23.Any strip of earth, on which Allah is remembered in Salaat.takes pride over the rest of the Earth.

24.Allah accepts the prayer of a person who prays to Him after performing two 'rakaat ' of Salaat. Allah grants him what he prays for, sometimes immediately and sometimes (in his own interest) later.

25.A person who performs two 'rakat of Salaat' in seclusion, where no-body except Allah and His Angels see him, receives a writ of deliverance from the fire of Hell

26 One prayer(wish) is granted to a person by Allah after each 'Fardh' Salaat performed by him.

27.Fire of Hell is forbidden and Paradise becomes due to a person who performs his 'Wudhu' properly and says his Salaat conscientiously, according to its regulations.

28.Devil remains scared of a Muslim so long as he is particular about his Salaat, but no sooner does he neglect it than the Devil gets a hold upon him and aspires for success in seducing him.

29.Salaat at its early hours is the most excellent practice.

30.Salaat is the offering of the pious.

31.Salaat at its early hours is a practice most liked by Allah.

32.At dawn, some people go to the Masjid and some to the market. Those going to the Masjid are the flag bearers of Imaan and those leaving for the market are the flag bearers of the Devil.

33.The four 'Rak'aats' before Zuhr have the same reward as the four rakaats of Tahajjud.

34.The four 'rakaat' before Zuhr are counted equal (in reward) to the four rakaats of Tahajjud.

35.The Mercy of Allah descends upon a person standing in 'Salaat.

36.Salaat at dead of night is most valued, but there are very few who do it.

37. Jibrail (Alayhis Salam) came to me and said,'O. Muhammad (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam)! howeverl ong thou livest thou shalt die one day, and whoever,thou may love thou shalt depart from him one day. Surely. thou shalt receive the recompense of whatever (good or evil) thou dost. No doubt honour for a Mo'min is in Tahajjud and his dignity is in contentmentanal restraint

38. "Two rakaats in late hours of the night are more valu-able than all the riches of this world. But for fear o??f

to my followers, I would have made these obligatory.

39.Keep offering 'Tahajjud', for it is the path of the righteous and the means of nearness to Allah. Tahajjud keeps one away from sins, causes forgiveness ofsins and improves the health of the body.

40. Allah says, 'O. son of Aadam! Do not feel reluctant in offering four 'Raka'ats' in early part of the day, for I shall suffice thee in thy jobs in the rest of it."Books of Hadith are full of discourses on the virtues of Salaat, enjoining its observance on all Muslims. The forty short Ahadith given above can be memorised and thus the reward of knowing Ahadith in that number can be earned. In fact, Salaat is really a big ?boon, but this is realised only by those who have enjoyed its taste. That is why Rasulullah (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) used to call it the comfort ofhis eyes and used to spend the major part of the night standing before Allah. For the very same reason our dear Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) even on his death bed charged us and enjoined on us to be particular about Salaat.It has been reported in many Ahadith that Rasulullah (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) would often say, "Fear Allah concerning Salaat." Abdullah bin Masood, (Radhiallhoanho) narrates that he heard Rasulullah Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) saying, "Of all the practices, Salaat is the dearest to me". One of the Companions narrates. "One night I happened to go to the Masjid. I found Rasulullah (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) in Salaat. I felt an ?ardent desire to join him. I made my intention and stood behind him; he was reciting' Bakarah' at that time. I thought that he would finish the 'qiraat' and go for Ruku'at the end of the hundred ?verse, but he did not do so. Then I thought he would perhaps go to 'Ruku' after finishing two hundred verses, but he did not stop even there. I was sure then that he would finish 'Qyam' with the end of the 'Soorah'. When the Soorah ended he hymned, 'Allahumma Lakal hamd' (O. Allah! Thine is all Glory) a number of times and then started 'AlImran on finishing that 'Soorah' he again hymned 'Allahumma Lakalhamd' three times and started 'Al-Maidah'. He went to 'Ruku' only after finishing that 'Soorah'. In Ruku and Sajdah he recited Tasbeeh and some other prayers, which I could not catch. In the second, 'raka'at' he started 'Al-anam' after 'Fatihah'. I could not continue with him any longer and broke away helplessly. What Rasulullah (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) recited in one 'rakaat' comes to about one sixth of the whole Quran. Besides, Rasulullah (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) must be reciting at ease with proper Tajweed; we can well imagine how long the rakat it would have been. It was on this account that his feet would often get swollen. But no amount of strain and inconvenience in Salaat holds back one whose heart is ?imbued with its sweetness. Abu Ishaq Subaihi is a famous Muhaddith. He died a centenarian. He would often exclaim in his old age, "Alas! This ?irfirmity and old age have deprived me of the delight of long Salaat. I am now only able to recite 'Baqrah and AleImran' in my Salaat of two Rakaat ." These two soorahs comprise about one eighth of the whole Qur'an. Muhammad bin Sammak, the famous Soofi, writes, "My neighbour at Koofah had a son. The boy fasted during the day and kept praying and hymning during the night. This constant strain emaciated him so much that his body was reduced to a skeleton. His father requested me to admonish him. Once I was sitting at my door when the boy passed by. He greeted me with 'Assalamo-alai-kum' and sat down. I had hardly said anything when he interrupted saying, 'Dear Uncle! May be that you intend to admonish me to reduce my Efforts . Listen to my story first. I had a few friends in this locality. We decided among ourselves to vie with one another in worship and adoration of Allah. They all applied themselves so hard that they were soon sent for by Allah. They embraced death delightedly and peacefully. Now I am the only one left behind. What will they think of me when they know of my lagging behind? Dear Uncle! My friends really strove very hard and achieved their goal. He then began to relate the pursuits and accomplishments of his departed friends, which astonished all the listeners .After this he left me. I heard a few days later that the boy too had died (May Allah bless him)."Even in these days,there are persons who remain engaged in Salaat for the major portion of the night and devote the whole day to Tabligh, Talim and other services in the path of Allah. Maulana Abdul Wahid Lahori (peace be upon him)was a famous saint who lived about two centuries ago. He sighed and wept when he learnt that there was no Salaat in Paradise being the place for recompense and not oflabour. He remarked, "How shall we enjoy the Paradise without Salaat!" Such people are really the salt of this Earth. May Allah give us their strength of 'Imaan' and love for His worship! 'A'amin.'Before I finish this chapter, let me reproduce the following lovely Hadith from Munabbihaat by Ibue Hair,"Once when Rasulullah (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) was sitting among his companions,he remarked, "Three things of this world are very dear to me: Perfume, Women and Salaat the Comfort' of my eyes." "Quite true" rejoined Abu Bakr (Radhiallaho anho)."And I cherish three things a look at thy face, spending of my wealth on thee and that my daughter is thy wife, O Prophet of Allah!" "Quite true",said Umar (Radhiallaho anho), "And the three I love most are; enforcing that which is right, forbidding evil and wearing old clothes." "Quite true", said'Uthman (Radhiallaho anho),"And the three I love most are: feeding the hungry, clothing the naked and reciting the Qur'an." "Quite true", said Ali(Radhiallaho anho). "And I love these three things most:serving a guest, fasting on a very hot day and smiting the enemy with my sword." At this, Jibrail (Alayhis Salam) appeared on the scene and said to Rasulullah (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam), "Allah has sent me to tell you what I would love if I be one of the mortals. "Yes, do tell us, Jibrail", said Rasulullah . Jibrail then replied, "If I had been like you, I would have loved three things: guiding the people gone astray, loving those who worship in poverty and helping the poor family men. And as for Allah, He loves three characteristics of His slaves: striving in His Path, crying at the time of repentance, and steadfastness in want and hunger.?? Ibn Qayyam writes: 'Salaat ensures daily bread promotes health, drives out diseases, strengthens the heart makes the face bright and beautiful, pleases the soul, refreshes the body, cures indolence, relieves the mind, feeds the soul,illumines the heart and guarantees Allah's favour. It grants protection against Allah's wrath. It keeps the Devil away and brings us nearer to Allah.ln short, Salaat is a guarantee for all that is desirable.and a protection against all that is undesirable for both body and soul, equally in this world and in the Hereafter

Reactions: nrbhayo