• Work-from-home

Don

Administrator
Mar 15, 2007
Toronto, Ca
"ICC World Twenty20 South Africa 2007 officially launched

Sami-ul-Hasan

July 26, 2007

The International Cricket Council (ICC) and Cricket South Africa (CSA) officially launched the inaugural ICC World Twenty20 South Africa 2007, at the Northgate Dome in Johannesburg today.

The launch marked the official countdown, showcasing the new ICC World T20 identity in an exciting exhibition of activations in line with the local 20 over sportainment themes.

The 13 day, 12 nation event starts at the Wanderers, Johannesburg on Tuesday, 11 September 2007 with the first match between hosts, South Africa and the West Indies. The final will be held at the same venue on Heritage Day*, Monday, 24 September 2007.

CSA President Norman Arendse said: "It is indeed an honour for Cricket South Africa to host the inaugural ICC World Twenty20, making history in doing so.

"The ICC has shown its confidence in South Africa's ability to host world class events after the 2003 Cricket World Cup.

"The fact that the 2010 FIFA Soccer World Cup will also be held in South Africa shows the international community's faith in South Africa hosting major sporting events.

"It is however sad to note that whilst the T20 was awarded to South Africa when Percy Sonn was President of the ICC, we have since witnessed his passing with great sadness. The ICC World T20 South Africa will be dedicated to his memory."

The tournament will be played in three venues around the country, the Wanderers, Johannesburg; Kingsmead, Durban and Newlands, Cape Town.

ICC President Ray Mali said: "I am looking forward to the ICC World Twenty20 South Africa 2007 with a mix of pride and excitement.

"Pride because it is taking place in my home country of South Africa and I know we will do a great job of hosting the event and showcasing the game in the best possible light.

"And excitement because the event marks a first for cricket - the first time this format of the game will have been played on a truly global scale.

"I have long been an advocate of Twenty20 cricket because during my time as President of Cricket South Africa I saw the positive effect it had on the game - there were packed grounds and it brought a new audience to our sport.

"Now, with the top international teams coming together at three excellent venues in Johannesburg, Cape Town and Durban I hope South Africa will once again get behind this form of the game and make this an outstanding and memorable event."

The shorter form of the game has caught the imagination of many cricket spectators and new fans to the sport.

ICC Chief Executive Officer Malcolm Speed said: "ICC World Twenty20 South Africa 2007 represents one of the most exciting developments in the game of cricket within the past 30 years.

"It will bring many of the best international players from around the world together for a short, sharp event we believe will capture the public's imagination both in South Africa and around the world.

"The tournament will be showcased by ESPN STAR Sports and it will be a great chance for our new broadcast partner to showcase its ability by providing innovative and high-quality coverage.

"ICC World Twenty20 South Africa 2007 is the first of 18 ICC events spread over eight years that will see the game taken all over the world while, at the same time, providing players and fans alike with variety and excitement.

"The spread of events and the revenue they generate will help to continue cricket's growth and ensure that our strong sport continues to grow even stronger."

Preparations are at an advanced stage at all three venues around South Africa. Inspection visits and feedback from all involved, show that everything possible had been done to make sure the tournament is a success.

Steve Elworthy, Tournament Director of the ICC World Twenty20 South Africa 2007 said: "We are in the final implementation stages and preparations are progressing extremely well.

"Expectations of this event are ever increasing and the public are responding. The launch was fantastic and if this is what we are to expect for the duration of the tournament, then everybody who experiences a match, on TV or at the stadium will be truly entertained,"

Heritage Day, September 24, is a Public Holiday on which South Africans across the spectrum are encouraged to celebrate their cultural heritage and the diversity of their beliefs and traditions. "

Sami-ul-Hasan is ICC Communications Officer

© ICC