Darknes will Fall
- Jun 21, 2007
http://chefjundi.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/image0001.jpgAssaalaamu alaikum,This is an Arabic dish which has many names from different regions in the Arabian peninsula, Lebanon and Turkey. Preparation wise, it’s almost the same as Dolma or Wara Ainab or Rolled Grape Leaves recipe.
2 cups medium grain rice, rinsed and drained
1 Lb coarse ground beef or lamb
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp butter ghee (optional)
2 tsp salt
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
¼ tsp white pepper
2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dry crushed mint
1 or 2 large heads of cabbage (totaling about 6 Lbs)
¾ cup fresh lemon juice
6 cloves garlic, halved
1 Lb lamb chops
1 cube chicken bouillon
1 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
- In a large bowl, thoroughly mix together all the ingredients for the rice stuffing. Cover with plastic and refrigerate until needed
- To prepare the cabbage leaves, place to entire head of cabbage in the microwave for about 1 minute, until area around the heart is soft and leaves peel of with ease. This step may need to repeated as layers of cabbage leaves are removed
- Once leaves are removed, blanch in boiling water (about 15 seconds) then drain.
- Using a sharp paring knife, remove the large middles rib from each leaf.
- Take about a Tbsp of rice stuffing and place in diagonally at the tip of leaf (away from the rib). Bring in the sides of the leaf to cover the rice then using your ring fingers to hold down the cabbage leaf tightly roll all the way to the end. If the middle rib is too thick, shave it off using a paring knife and continue to roll. Set aside in a large glass platter or baking dish
- Repeat until either all the cabbage or all the rice stuffing is used up.
- Place the lamb chops in the bottom of a large tock pot. Sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Begin layering the rolled cabbage leaves on top of the lamb chops, dropping garlic in between. Repeat until all the cabbage rolls are tightly layered, and all the garlic has been used
- Crumble the chicken bouillon cube on top. Pour in hot water to just cover all the cabbage leaves. Add the lemon juice and swirl the pot to release any air bubbles.
- Cover and bring to a boil over high heat, then lower heat to med-low and simmer for approximately one hour, until rice is completely cooked