History The Battle of Ta'if

• Work-from-home

Pari

(v)i§§· ßµølï ßµð£ï¨
VIP
Mar 20, 2007
Toronto, Canada
The Battle of Ta'if

The warriors of Thaqif who fled from Hunayn returned to Ta’if. They closed the gates of the city after storing stocks of food enough to serve them for a year. Thus, they prepared themselves in time for another encounter with the Muslims.
The Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) went at once to Ta’if. After establishing his camp outside the city, he set about besieging it in order to humble the enemy. The siege lingered on for sometime, but the Muslims, whose avenues of entry had already been blocked up by the defenders, were unable to enter Ta’if. Thaqif combatants were good archers, so that the thick volley of arrows released by them appeared as if they were like swarms of locusts.

Pari

(v)i§§· ßµølï ßµð£ï¨
VIP
Mar 20, 2007
Toronto, Canada
SIEGE OF TA’IF

As the Muslims’ camp was just within the range of arrows shot from the rampart of Ta’if, the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) transferred it to another side of the city. The siege continued for some twenty-five to thirty nights during which the two opponents fought tooth and nail to get the better of one another as they traded a barrage of arrows. The Prophet, used for the first time catapults in the siege of Ta’if whose ingress and egress were completely blocked. The arrows shot by the enemy took its toll on the lives of several Muslims. (Ibn Hisham, Vol. II, pp. 478-83)

Pari

(v)i§§· ßµølï ßµð£ï¨
VIP
Mar 20, 2007
Toronto, Canada
KINDNESS IN THE BATTLEFIELD

When the siege did not have the desired effect, the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) threatened to cut down the vineyards of Thaqif. The enemy was extremely perturbed for its economy depended on the fine quality of grapes grown in these vineyards. Thaqif populace begged the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) in the name of God and their relationship with him to spare their orchards and farms as a whole. Taking pity on the enemy, the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) said, “Certainly, I leave it to God and to the kinship between us.”
The Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) issued an announcement declaring that if any slave originating from Thaqif came to him from the city, he would be set free. One of the ten or more so slaves who deserted Ta’if was Abu Bakrah. Later on, he distinguished himself by his profound knowledge of the Traditions. The Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) freed all of them and asked the Muslims to take care of their deeds. However, the people of Ta’if were greatly irked on the desertion of their slaves.(62)

Pari

(v)i§§· ßµølï ßµð£ï¨
VIP
Mar 20, 2007
Toronto, Canada
THE SIEGE RAISED

Allah had not willed the fall of Ta’if. ‘Umar (radiallahu 'anhu) was asked by the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) to announce the deferral of the siege and return of the army. Feeling disappointed, some of the people raised an outcry at the sudden order of retreat. They said. “Shall we go back without reducing Ta’if?” The Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) replied, “Alright, mount an attack.” They bore down on the enemy but were confronted with losses of lives. Then the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) said, “God willing, we shall return very soon.” The people then felt relieved and started making preparations for breaking the camp. The Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) smiled when he saw them returning.(63)

Pari

(v)i§§· ßµølï ßµð£ï¨
VIP
Mar 20, 2007
Toronto, Canada
THE SPOIL OF HUNAYN

On his way back from Ta’if, the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) stayed over J’irrana with his men. He intended to give an opportunity to the Hawazin to make amends by calling upon him and accepting Islam. Thereafter, he distributed the spoils. The Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) gave out first to those whose hearts were to be won. Abu Sufyan and his two sons Yazid and Mu’awiya were doled out handsome gifts. Hakim b. al-Hizam, Nadr b. al-Harith, ‘Ala’ b. al-Haritha and other Qurayshite leaders were treated generously and then every man in the army was awarded his share of the spoils.(64)

Pari

(v)i§§· ßµølï ßµð£ï¨
VIP
Mar 20, 2007
Toronto, Canada
LOVE FOR ANSAAR AND THEIR SELFLESSNESS

The Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) partitioned a large portion of the spoils to the Quraysh who had to be reconciled to Islam while the Ansaar was also meted out its petty share. Some of the lads among the Ansaar aired their grievances at the meager gifts turned over to them. The Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) ordered the Ansaar to assemble in an enclosure. Then he delivered an extremely moving speech that tugged at the inner crevices of their hearts and which finally brought them on the verge of tears.
The Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) said: "Did I not come to you when you were aberrant and God guided you through me; you were poor and God made you rich; you were divided and He softened your hearts to unite?”
The Ansaar replied, “Yes, indeed, God and His Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) are most kind and generous.”
But, the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) again queried: “O Ansaar, why don’t you answer me?”
They said, “What answer can we give! “O Messenger of God, kindness and generosity belongs to God and His Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam)."
The Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) continued, “Had you wished, you could have said - and verily you would have spoken the truth and I would have acknowledged if you had replied - you came discredited and we believed you; you came deserted and we helped you; you were fugitive and we gave you shelter; you were poor and comforted you.”
The Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) then turned to speak out something which expressed the love he had for the Ansaar and, at the same time substantiated the disparity in the distribution of the pillage. He said, “do you have some misgivings about me, O Ansaar, because of what I have given to them for the short-lived bloom of this life by which they may become Muslims while I have entrusted you to Islam?” The Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) then posed a question which inflamed the Ansaar with love of the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam). He inquired, “O Ansaar, are you not satisfied that these men should take away sheep and goats while you go back with the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) of God? By him who has the life of Muhammad in His hand, what you take back with you would be better than the things with which they would return. Had there been no migration, I would have been one of the Ansaar myself. If all the people go one way in a wadi and the Ansaar take another, I would take the way of the Ansaar. The Ansaar are the undergarment and the others are the overgarments. O Allah, have mercy on the Ansaar, their sons and their sons’ sons’.”
All the Ansaar wept until tears rolled down their beards as they said, “We are satisfied and happy that the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) falls to our lot.”(65)

Pari

(v)i§§· ßµølï ßµð£ï¨
VIP
Mar 20, 2007
Toronto, Canada
CAPTIVES RELEASED

A deputation of the Hawazin consisting of fourteen persons called upon the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam). They requested him to take pity on them and return their kinsmen and property. The Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) replied, “You see the people accompanying me. What I like best is that you come out with the truth. Now tell me, which of the two is dearer to you?” Your children and your women or your property?”
They replied with one voice, “We treasure nothing more than our children and women.”
Now, the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) advised them, “Tomorrow morning when I have finished the prayer you get up and say: We ask the Prophet's (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) intercession with the Muslims and the Muslims’ intercession with the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) that our children and women be returned to us.” When they did as told by the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) he gave the reply, “Whatever was appointed to me and the Bani ‘Abdul Muttalib is yours. To others I make a recommendation for you.” Thereupon the Muhajirrin and the Ansaar said, “Whatever share has been given to us is passed on to the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam).”
The persons belonging to Bani Tamim, Bani Fazara and Bani Sulaym refused to leave their shares. The Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) said to them, “These fellows have come after accepting Islam. I waited their arrival and gave them choice but preferred nothing to their women and children. Now, if anybody has slaves whom he wants to donate cheerfully, the way is open to him. But if anybody does not want to do so, he may refuse. He who holds a right to such captives shall be given six shares in lieu of each from the first booty Allah grants us.”

Everyone replied, “We give back our shares cheerfully for the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam)’s sake.” The Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam), however, said, “I do not know who among you is contented and who is not. You go back now and your chiefs will tell me correctly about your affairs.” All of them returned the captives, women and children, and not one of them decided to retain his share. The Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) also offered a garment to every released captive. (Zad al-Ma'ad, Vol. I, p. 449, Bukhari)

Pari

(v)i§§· ßµølï ßµð£ï¨
VIP
Mar 20, 2007
Toronto, Canada
LOVING KINDNESS

Among the captives rounded up during the battle, the Muslims took Shayma bint Halima S’adiya also into custody. The men taking her captive did not know her although she told them that she was the foster-sister of the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam), they did not pay any heed to her and treated her roughly.
When Shayma was presented before the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) she said: “O Prophet of God, I am your foster sister.” The Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) asked for a proof and she replied, “The bite you gave me at my back when I carried you in my hip. The mark is still there.” The Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) accepted the proof and stretched out his robe for her to sit on then treated her courteously. He gave her the choice of living with him in affection and honor or going back to her people with presents. She chose to be reunited with her tribe. She accepted Islam and the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) gave her three bondsmen, a slave girl and some goats. (Zad al-Ma'ad, Vol. I, p. 449)

Pari

(v)i§§· ßµølï ßµð£ï¨
VIP
Mar 20, 2007
Toronto, Canada
THE LESSER PILGRIMAGE

After distributing the spoils and captives at J’irrana, the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) wore the Ihram needed in performing the lesser pilgrimage for this was the place from where the people going for pilgrimage to Mecca from Ta’if changed into Ihram. After completion of the lesser pilgrimage the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) returned to Madeenah. (Ibn Hisham , Vol. II, p. 500)
The Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) came back to Madeenah in Dhul Q’ada, 8 A.H.(66)
While the forces were returning from Ta’if, the Prophet of God (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) asked the men to recite: “We are those who revert and repent and worship and glorify our Lord.” Some of the people then asked the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) to call down evil on Thaqif. The Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) raised his hands to entreat, “O Allah! Guide Thaqif on the right path and bring them here.”
‘Urwa b. Mas’ud al-Thaqafi met the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) while he was on his way back to Madeenah. He became a Muslim and returned to his people inviting them to Islam. He was very popular and enjoyed the esteem of his clansmen but when he broke the news that he had accepted Islam, the people turned against him. They shot arrows at him from all directions until one hit him causing his death.
Thaqif held out for a few months after killing ‘Urwa but after taking counsel among them they reached the conclusion that it would be beyond their power to fight all those tribes which had already taken the oath of allegiance at the hands of the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam). Ultimately, they decided to send a deputation to the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam).

Pari

(v)i§§· ßµølï ßµð£ï¨
VIP
Mar 20, 2007
Toronto, Canada
NO COMPLAISANCE TO IDOLATRY

When the deputation of Thaqif came to Madeenah, a tent was pitched for them in the Prophet’s mosque. They requested the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) not to destroy their chief deity, the idol of al-Lat, for three years. The Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) refused: then continued to reduce the period by one year, but the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) remained firm in refusing their request until they finally asked for period of one month after they had returned to their homes. The Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) again rejected their request and ordered Abu Sufyan and Mughira b. Shu’ba al-Thaqafi to destroy al-Lat. Thereafter the Thaqif asked the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) that they might be excused from offering prayers. To this the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) replied, “Nothing remains of a religion which has no prayer.”

Abu Sufyan and Mughira b. Shu’ba accompanied the deputation of Thaqif when they returned to Ta’if. Mughira smote al-Lat with a pickax and broke it into pieces. Thereupon, the people of Ta’if accepted Islam liberating all of them from paganism. (Zad al-Ma'ad, Vol. I, pp.458-59)

Pari

(v)i§§· ßµølï ßµð£ï¨
VIP
Mar 20, 2007
Toronto, Canada
K’AB B. ZUHAYR ACCEPTS ISLAM

K’ab b. Zuhayr paid a visit to the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) after the latter returned to Medinah from Ta’if. K’ab was a poet whose father had also been a versifier. He had composed many satirical poems ridiculing the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) but when he fell on evil days, his brother Bujayr wrote to him that he should better go to the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) as a repentant and a sinner and accept Islam. K’ab’s brother also warned him of the dire consequences of disregarding his advice. K’ab at last, came to the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) and composed the famous panegyric ode praising the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) beginning with Banat Su’ad. (Meaning Su'ad has departed)

When K’ab came to Medinah he called upon the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) just after the latter had finished the morning prayers and placed his hands in his. The Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam), however, did not know who he was. K’ab then said to the Prophet, “O Messenger of Allah, K’ab b. Zuhary has come as a repentant Muslim and asks for security from you. Will you accept his repentance?” One of the Ansaar leapt upon him saying, “O Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) of God, let me deal with this enemy of God. I will now cut off his head.” But the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) asked him to leave K’ab alone since he had come repentant of his past deeds. It was then that K’ab recited the well-known ode beginning with the verses.
Su’ad is gone, and today my heart is love-lorn; Enthralled, put in chain, no bloodwit coming to unrein.
Then, in another verse he praised the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) thus:

Indeed the Messenger is a light whence illumination is sought; A drawn, sharp-edged sword, the sword of Allah.
The Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) gave away his robe to K’ab when he recited these verses.(67)

Pari

(v)i§§· ßµølï ßµð£ï¨
VIP
Mar 20, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Footnotes

[62] Zad al-Ma'ad, Vol. I, p. 457 (On the authority of Ibn Is'haq)
[63] Zad al-Ma'ad, Vol. I, p. 457 (On the authority of Ibn Is'haq)
[64] Zad al-Ma'ad, Vol. I, p. 448. Also seeBukhari and Muslim Ta'if.
[65] The incident has been narrated in Sahihain, but Zad al-Ma'ad gives more details.
[66] Bukhari (Dhi Q'da is the 11th month of Islamic Calendar.
[67] Zad al-a’ad, Vol. I, pp. 466-68. Qastalani realtes in the Mawahib, on the authority of Abu Bakr b. al-‘Anbari that when K’ab recited this verse, the Apostle gave his robe to him. Caliph Mu’awiyah offered 10, 000 dinars for the Apostle’s robe, but K’ab refused and said that he could not part with it for anything. Mu’awiyah obtained the robe, after the death of K’ab, for 20,000 dinars, from the heirs of K’ab. Qastalani further says that the roberemain with Caliphs for long time, (Al-Zurqani, Commentary on Al-Mawahib, Vol. III, p. 70).