Road to Death

• Work-from-home

Pari

(v)i§§· ßµølï ßµð£ï¨
VIP
Mar 20, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Crazy Routes in Andes, Albania & New Zealand

Necessitymay dictate that you choose the "road less traveled", but for goodnesssake, leave weaker-nerved passengers behind. They might experiencelife-changing (and underwear-changing) circumstances that they willnever forget, or forgive.

One of the Chinese military roads to "boost the morale of their troops" -

and here is how they navigate it:

Pari

(v)i§§· ßµølï ßµð£ï¨
VIP
Mar 20, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Tirana to Elbasan Road in Albania
Thisis a hairy route, very high, badly maintained with high volume of heavytruck traffic - count on these Albanian drivers to be dare-devils, too.Whatever pictures we could get, look pretty serious:

The cool thing about this road is that it leads to various interesting "rabbit trails" with ancient ruins at the end:

some of the bridges there look pretty ancient too, and require some extra faith that they'll hold:

Reactions: nrbhayo

Pari

(v)i§§· ßµølï ßµð£ï¨
VIP
Mar 20, 2007
Toronto, Canada
The Skippers Canyon Road near Queenstown:

Katie Laurence writes to us:

"Thisroad is made from a very narrow cut in the middle of a sheer cliffface. The large
tourist buses go along it, and it's so narrow that iftwo vehicles have to pass each
other, one vehicle might have to reversefor anything up to 3 kilometres of winding narrow road to get to aplace wide enough to pass. It is the SCARIEST road you could
imagine..."

A few aerial shots first:

and this is how it looks close up, with sheer drops just outside the single lane (with almost not enough space for tires) -

Pari

(v)i§§· ßµølï ßµð£ï¨
VIP
Mar 20, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Stelvio Pass Road - redefining switchbacks - A Scenic yet Dangerous Road!

Height - 2757 meters

Location- in the Italian Alps, near Bormio and Sulden, 75 km from Bolzano,close to Swiss border. (The road connects the Valtellina with the upperAdige valley and Merano)

Claim to fame - "the highest pavedmountain pass in the Eastern Alps, and the second highest in the Alps,after the Col de l'Iseran (2770 m)"

Pari

(v)i§§· ßµølï ßµð£ï¨
VIP
Mar 20, 2007
Toronto, Canada

The Pulpit Rock Hike - if you fall, it's 1000 meters down

Thisplace is indeed so spectacular, that we are going to write a specialpost about it. For now, just to give you a taste of some scenery - afew shots of people definitely having fun (not forgettingthousand-meter drops at every turn)

We finish with a scenario which might not have a happy ending