Break up advice

• Work-from-home

NakreWali

Jan 26, 2009
Chicago, IL
This is an article I read online.. might help some people..

5 things you should do after a breakup…

Purge memories of your ex

Out of sight, out of mind isn’t just a cute saying, it’s a crucial part of getting over your past relationship. Throw out anything that could serve as an unpleasant reminder, including photos and gifts (if they’re expensive, give them away or store them in a closet until you can handle it). Delete that person’s emails and number from your cell to head off an embarrassing drink-and-dial episode. The fewer memory triggers that surround you, the faster you can move on.

Get a new goal
Newly single people often feel aimless and have hordes of time to fill… what better opportunity to take on a challenge? It can be physical (triathlon training), creative (art courses), or warm and fuzzy (volunteering at an animal shelter). Having a purpose outside of yourself can snap you out of your woe-is-me mindset, and give you yet one more reason to jump out of bed in the morning. How’s that for a speedy recovery?

Head out of town
A brief change of scenery could be just the thing to lift your spirits. Consider a journey to a place you’ve always wanted to see, whether it’s a week of roughing it in the woods or a quick spa getaway on the beach. You’ll be so stimulated by your new surroundings that stray memories from your relationship past are less likely to intrude.

Cultivate a new crush
Even if it’s a meaningless, mini-infatuation with your Starbucks barista that goes absolutely nowhere, it can be just the thing to distract you during a rough time. Not in the mood for butterflies just yet? Get in touch with someone you may have neglected lately, like your sister, parents, or an old high-school friend for some quality bonding.

Celebrate your singledom
It can be easy to see a breakup as a downer, but let’s be honest here: If it wasn’t meant to be, you’re much better off being free, don’t you think? To emphasize that this is a good thing to have happened in your life, throw a cathartic "I’m Single!" party to kick off your newly-available status and move forward with an attitude of relief rather than sorrow.

Reactions: nrbhayo